When you type words or phrases into the Keywords search box, we use the latest machine learning and search technology to bring relevant results to the top.
If you want more control over your search, you can use SeekOut's advanced Boolean search syntax.
Using Boolean Syntax
- In a Boolean search, you can use the operators OR, AND, and NOT to control the fields which are required to be in your results
- Operators must always be entered in all caps (e.g., advertising OR marketing, not advertising or marketing)
- Quotation marks are used to indicate a multi-word phrase
- Parentheses control how the Boolean operators are grouped
software AND java NOT recruiter
Find profiles that contains the words software and java, but does not have the word recruiter
"product support" AND (automotive OR locomotive)
Find profiles that contains the phrase product support and either term automotive or locomotive
"Bank of America"
Find profiles that contain the exact phrase "Bank of America"
For more real-world Boolean search examples see our Definitive Guide to Boolean Searches for Recruiters
SeekOut also let's you focus your search terms to specific fields. This can be much more powerful than using typical Boolean which looks for words anywhere in the profile.
If you want to find words in a specific part of the candidate's profile, use the structure fieldname:searchterm. Boolean operators can be used with these field searches.
Find profiles with Java in their skills list.
skills:java AND cur_title:("business analyst" OR engineer)
Find profiles with Java as a skill and having a current title containing the complete phrase business analyst or engineer.
You can also use wildcard operators in field searches.
You can field search within any of the below:
- url: - The unique part of the candidate's LinkedIn profile URL. For example, to search for a candidate whose LinkedIn profile URL is https://www.linkedin.com/in/guptaanoop/ , enter url:guptaanoop
You can even combine these fields together to create highly-targeted searches, such as:
cur_title:finance AND degrees:bachelors
AND majors:(finance OR accounting) NOT cur_company:SeekOut
Advanced Boolean Search
SeekOut's search supports even more powerful searches, including proximity/near searches and wildcards.
To learn more about these power features, see: Even More Advanced Searching with SeekOut